In Windows Firefox automatically uses the local virus scanner, if installed, to scan any file it downloads. While this may provide extra safety, the real-time scanning functions of modern antivirus programs render this additional scanning unnecessary and causes delays, false positives and even freezes when downloading files – especially large ones.
To disable Firefox's automatic virus scanning perform the following steps:
- In the address bar type about:config
- In the filter bar (CTRL+F) type browser.download.manager.scanWhenDone
- Double click this entry to toggle it from the default true to false
- Close all open Firefox windows and restart to apply the change
Apple's Mac OS X automatically creates a hidden file called .DS_store on any file system it encounters, including SMB (Windows) networks, similar to Windows' desktop.ini file.
To prevent its creation on network shares, follow these steps on the Apple computer:
- Open Terminal (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal or click the magnifying glass in the top right of the screen and type Terminal)
- Execute the following command
defaults write com.apple.desktopservices DSDontWriteNetworkStores true
- Either restart the computer or log out and back in.
To disable .DS_store creation on network drives for all users see Apple's article.
Mac OS X v10.4 and later: How to prevent .DS_Store file creation over network connections